Friday, July 31, 2009

The End of a Friendship??


   I've had a very good girlfriend for about 15 years. I love her to death. We got married to 2 guys that were childhood friends. That's how we met. She and her husband got married 2 months before we did. We had our 1st babies within 2 months of each other too. So many 1st's!! 

   Now they're getting divorced. This is another 1st for me. I've never had a very close friend get divorced. Not one that I saw frequently and vacationed with every summer. It has put my husband and I in a tight spot. What do you do when one or the other wants to go on the same summer beach vacation with your family just minus the spouse?? We've done so many things together.

   They were with me when I flew in an airplane for the 1st time. The first time I ever traveled to Montana. We had great plans to go again soon and take our kids. I am really very sad. I miss my couple friends! 

  Now the dating begins. I must say so far, for me, it stinks! My friend is making some really poor choices, in my opinion. She is dating like it's a competition sport. I don't understand it. I pray that when she lands from this whirlwind, she's OK and back to the same girl I have spent so many fun days and nights and weeks with. 

  I have mutual friends calling me and some not so mutual asking me what's going on. How do you help someone that doesn't think they need it?? It's pretty simple. You don't. I have come to the realization that I can't save her from herself. I can try to be there for her. I am absolutely there for her kids. I will do everything to save them. Their home is broken. They will never be the same. It's so sad...

  I know it's not the end of our friendship. I also know that it's very much changed. I hope we can be the same martini drinking, movie going, happy girls we used to be someday...soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment